Burts wins ‘Manufacturing Business Of The Year’
At Burts we’re proud of our Devon roots. So it’s always nice when you receive plaudits from your home area. Our mantelpiece, which is already packed with prestigious silver trophies and plaques has another to add to the collection after we were announced the winner of the Plymouth Herald Manufacturing Business of the Year Award 2017. Might be time to call in a carpenter to extend our shelving! We also received a special commendation for the International Trade Award which reflects the success we’ve been having in selling our products overseas, particularly in America.
So, why do these awards matter? Well, for one, it’s a chance to put our staff in the spotlight. While most customers will only ever know us through our products, the truth is, for the people who work at Burts, our success is their success. We couldn’t achieve anything without them. From our ingredients buyers to our sales personnel, our quality managers to our factory maintenance crew, our marketing and accounting staff to our receptionists, all of them are pulling together in their commitment to making Burts Potato Chips the best we can be. So we salute you all. Very well done!
Our manufacturing highlights include:
- £3.7 million investment in high tech manufacturing facilities.
- Increasing output by 32% to around 150 tonnes per week.
- Turnover up to a record £24.5 million with exports increasing by 41%.
- Staff numbers growing to 150 personnel and we’re still hiring.
- Improved health and safety procedures.
- 92% job satisfaction.
- Commitment to staff development with 126 external courses completed.
- Innovative, new products launched such as Quinoa Crinkles, plus new improved flavours for modern classics like Firecracker Lobster.
- Multiple award wins including Taste of The West Gold and Silver awards and Best New Product and Best Health & Well Being product at the Vendies.
- Strong relationships built with local South West ingredients suppliers with chorizo from the Good Game Company in Devon, chillies from the South Devon Chilli Farm and Devon Roast Beef from The Well Hung Meat Company.
- Successful collaborations with brands like Guinness, Hobgoblin and Levi Roots.
If you’d like to know more, watch this video.